Monday, December 31, 2007

Yesterday’s News

As the change of pace continues to increase exponentially on this crazy planet we call home, it seems that publishers eagerness for misery memoirs is on the wane as they search for "The Next Big Thing".
With so many misery memoirs flooding the market and the non-stop barrage of reality TV shows on the box these days, it's only natural that "Reality Blogs" will also follow and news reaches my ears that the next blogging phenomenon to hit the bookshelves will be the everyday tale of a single mother scraping a living just above the breadline.

The author of
Single Mother on the Verge is the latest blogger to be offered a book deal based purely on her ability to string a couple of words into a sentence on a blog.
Whilst her writing style may best be described as basic, she does at least seem to have an idea of how a blog works.

Indeed, although the blog has only been running for three months, she appears to have already won a blogging award, hardly quel surprise there as she is billed as a freelance writer, something our very own Anya aspires to be.
At this juncture, I can see new visitors to this humble blog thinking to themselves "Hang on, she wrote a book so she must be a writer".

Allow me to point out one of many many inconsistencies in Anya's story.
Whilst Anya herself might bang on ad nauseum about her writing skills, it was actually Andrew Croft who wrote "Abandoned" after Harper Collins brought him in once they caught sight of the standard of writing that Anya was presenting to them.

But I digress ............

It must be galling to Anya to see these young whippersnappers coming up to steal her limelight.
After all, the best Anya could come up with in terms of blogging awards was a nomination in 2006.
Even this humble homage managed that feat in 2007 and I have no skills at all.
Well, there is that one with the two ping pong balls and the tin of squirty cream but it doesn't translate well onto a blog .....

No wonder Anya's looking for a job and reminiscing about the good old days when she was (allegedly) homeless and had her whole future in front of her instead of diminishing in the rear view mirror of life.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a skill? Really?! And what kind of skill is that, by the way?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Y.S.T!!

We want to see more of your skills in 2008! A red nose is a must! :)

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful 2008 on Planet Earth! :)

Please tell us everything about that devilish thing, Anya Peters! Tell it in details, slowwwllly...We'd love to hear it...

Anonymous said...

Hello!!

I've never read a book written by you (Thank God) but I think you are an inspiration and a survivor!!

I'm so glad you survived so that you could become an inspiration!!

I'm impressed and inspired!

Anonymous said...

Dear Thing,

This is Smelishgl from Sweden! I read your blog everyday and you truly are an inspiration!

Please don't stop! Inspire us! It's such a shame that I'm still learning English and I don't understand most of what's written but you're so funny and inspiring!

P.S. Here in Sweden we exchange feet pictures on New Year's day. It's an old tradition...Just to let you know!

Anonymous said...

I started reading your blog on Christmas Eve and I've just finished! I missed my Christmas Family Dinner because of that but I think they'll forgive me someday!

You are so inspiring!! Keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

I've just finished reading your blog!
WOW!! You are a survivor!(And me too, by the way!)

I wish you all the best in 2008! Hope to hear from you...

Anonymous said...

Double WOW!!

I'm in Hong Kong and I just heard your story in the news! My god, you are a survivor! How did that happen?

P.S. I have a secret wish for 2008, I'll be tip toeing on my garden at midnight praying that it will come true!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!
Energetic!
Extraordinary!
Tremendous!

Congratulations on your Blog!
Wishing you all the best for the new year!

wanderingScribe said...

You are all so kind.
Words fail me.
Well, I can think of one or two choice ones but modesty forbids me from posting.

I hope you all get all what you deserve in 2008 and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

I'd like to share some inspirational words with you, my closest friends.

This is my journey. To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly blog where no homeless person has blogged before.

It fills me up everytime.......

God Bless us all, Everyone !

Humbled Hugs in the presence of those who truly understand........

ANYA PETERS © 2007

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year d.G.A! :)

Anonymous said...

My sister got me your book for xmas. I really wanted one about the "art of mooning".... however, I was transfixed from start to finish. I spent xmas day sat in the garden shed just staring.

Mrs N Sack

Anonymous said...

Speechless...! A booker certainty, a triumph. Words fail me.

Prince Charles

Anonymous said...

Pass me a dock leaf ......

Single Mother on the Verge said...

Thanks for the "Next Big Thing" plug.

And yup ... it's not a misery memoir... but you know... I can get pretty miserable from time to time so depending how miserable I get... or happy...


Smov x